Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To Have A Home

Yes, this is another post about Harry Potter and yes, I haven't posted for a while and this is not about history. I need ideas people! What do you want to know about? I almost feel like I'm just writing this for myself, and if that's the case I will most likely just keep rambling on about Harry Potter.

So, unless you are just really out of touch with social media, you've probably heard someone mention the site Pottermore within the last few days.

Pottermore. We're big on the owls

This site is an interactive way to read the Harry Potter books. You'll get sorted into a house, buy a wand, earn house points. It sounds like it is going to be absolutely fantastic and pretty much the entire fandom is dancing with impatience to be let in. Which is where the Magic Quill comes in.

7 attempts at insanity

What is the Magic Quill you ask (unless you just read the banner in which case you already know. Too bad, I'm still going to explain)? The Magic Quill in the books is a quill that writes down the names of every magical child born (within the Hogwarts school district I'm assuming. Although you could always get a boundary exception and go to Drumstrang or Beauxbatons ;) ) so that when that child reaches eleven the deputy headmaster/headmistress can send out the Hogwarts letters.

In Pottermore, the quill presents everyone with an opportunity to enter Pottermore early. 1 million people will get to beta test the site and to choose those people is the Magical Quill challenge. At a random time of day, between July 31st and August 6th a clue with be released, a question that you must find the answer to. Once you have the answer you add it to the URL quill.pottermore.com. If you are correct, you get sent to a screen where you have to catch the magic quill.

Where the hell is that damn quill? (This is the thought that will go through your mind at 2 in the morning when you finally get here)

Thankfully, the quill glows, but it also runs away so you may have to chase it a little (and do not panic if it goes off screen. It'll come back). When you manage to pin it down, you get a Congratulations and are told to begin your journey and fill out some information (name, date of birthday, email, etc.) The last question asked is this:

What kind of question is that?

Personally when I got to this point I found myself thinking, "What kind of fan has been up until one in the morning and hasn't seen all the movies and read all the books?" Because yes, by this time I had stayed up until 1:30AM, scoured my copy of Sorcerer's Stone for the answer (The question being "How many types of owls are on the sign for Eyelops Owl Empourium?") and chase a quill around a screen with a laptop track pad. Why would I do all that if I hadn't read all the books and seen all the movies? That would make me crazy instead of simply a zealous fan.

But I also managed to get in on the first day! Which means I haven't had to go through the insanity of staying up until 2 and 3AM (oh yes, clue one released at 1, clue 2 at 2 and clue 3 at 3. This only works on the West Coast...but I love it) to get the clue last night or the night before. And I got my verification email within fifteen minutes, which is NOT what has happened for others. Some have had to wait an entire day for their verification.

So I get to beta test it early! My name is DreamPotion56. You get your name by answering the registration questions and then picking from five generated usernames. I was almost ShadowGoblet206, but I liked the idea of a dream potion and it seemed to fit me best. I can't wait to meet up with my friends who've also wrangled early entrance and get sorted. Party in the common rooms anyone? I'll bring the Red Vines ;)

8 comments:

  1. Oh good, if I didnt read this Id never would have known about the wee hours of the morning counting!

    I shall try this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm housesitting and I only have the last two books with me... I may have to wait until October :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't underestimate the power of Googleing the answers. The third day's question had to do with how far ahead Gryffindor was before Harry caught the Snitch in the G vs. S match in the third book.

    Personally, I was hoping for "What page does Snape tell the DADA class to turn to when he subs for Lupin?" I think most of the fandom was hoping for that. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, that would have been the most epic question ever. And don't despair. The first day's answer was google-able. I think they realize that not everyone has a chance to have the book with them. The clue for day four will release between 6AM and 10AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are such a Potter Nerd... I guess I should be grateful to JK Rowling for introducing you to her Potter World opening your eyes to the vastness of literature that is out there for the reading. Don't you kind of feel sorry for people who aren't fanatical about reading???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashleigh, I must ask: between 6 AM and 10 AM Pacific time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom, yes I really, really do. I would be very sad without my books. And Susannah, yes, I transposed the time from GMT to PST so that is on the West Coast

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ashleigh! I was finally able to get on today :)I waited until now because I wasn't about to get up at 4 unless I absolutely had to lol

    ReplyDelete