Thursday, June 16, 2011

Distraction

Gah, I'm a day off again! How does this keep happening. Wait, I know how it happens. Distractions are how it happens. Sometimes the distractions are insignificant, like beating everyone on my friends list at Bejeweled (you're going down Arron!). Sometimes they're a bit bigger like applying for jobs or editing my novel (I have 14 days! I must get on this!). And distraction is such an easy thing to succumb to.

Which is probably why a lot of my ideas start out as ideas and don't going anywhere. Like the collage of shiny bits of paper I started in late high school (as a side note, I have no idea what I'm doing making a collage. It is not one of the art-ly pursuits I can do well). Or the collection of Harry Potter clay figures that I only got the trio and Luna out of before I got sucked into something else (although I do have the Marauders and Lily, pictures to come...eventually).

So, here are somethings that have been stealing me away from posting on the blog:

1. Tortall and Other Lands by Tamora Pierce


I am almost through this book and it is excellent. Tamora Pierce always writes amazing books and this collection is no exception. It's made up of eleven short stories, both set in Tortall and outside it, with people we've met and those who are completely new. There's a story about the tree Numair turned into a tree and one with Nawat and one about Kitten in Carthak. My favorite line in the book? "No more hurt! Or no more breathe." Want to know the context? Go read the book! Review to come on Friday.

2. Pottermore


This website and the speculation surrounding it has been driving me crazy. It's not a book and the people who've gotten sneak peeks have said it is beautiful and a fantastic addition to the fandom. But I want to know what it is! JK Rowling's going to release an announcement here when the countdown ends.

3. The Great Gatsby


My mom read this when she was in high school and I have heard the horror in her voice so many times that I thought I'd never read it. But then along come vlogbrothers and John says that the book for the summer is the Great Gatsby ("Summer, which in Nerdfighteria means putting on SPF 30 and reading classical literature for fun"). So I went and found it online and will commence reading it. Luckily it's not a very long book because I also have The Odyssey (yes, the one by Homer that the Greek geek in me is so excited to finally read) and a couple of other books from the library to read. Oh and the best thing about reading it with the Nerdfighters? In my head I hear John Green narrating it.

4. Masterchef


It has returned and I am avidly watching it with my family (well, Mom mostly but I'm sure we'll all watch it together at some point). I love this show because there are cooking challenges, but far less profanity and yelling than takes place on Hell's Kitchen. And now that they're through the auditions, the real cooking begins.

5. Editing my novel


I am now at chapter nine in my novel (there are thirty-three chapters and an epilogue to revise). Which is not bad, but it's also not great considering I have less than 14 days left. But I really, really love this novel. It's been my baby for so long and I find myself sitting there chuckling as I edit. Although it'd be much easier to edit if my characters didn't keep changing things on me. *grumble grumble* Because one little change (like, oh I used an alias here) and ripples go through the next five chapters. At least the story is still entertaining.

That's basically it for now. Sorry I don't have a real post. I promise, tomorrow there will be an actually book video with real books and such. But for now it's off to Mom's graduation (she's a better student that I am even: 30 classes and nary a B among the grades. Show-off ;) ) and relishing the time I have between freaking out over finding a job.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, so easy to get distracted... good luck with your edits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm getting somewhere but I need to work faster

    ReplyDelete