Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Chapter 1.13: Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance

Okay, so I love vampires. I've liked them before Twilight and I like real vampires as opposed to whatever Edward is (now, I actually like Twilight, as a fluffy read--cotton candy for the mind if you will--but whatever Edward is, he's not a vampire. I actually quite like the theory that he is a giant butterfly, which you can read about here). I feel silly every time I say the words "Vampire Romance" but that's the best (albeit, imperfect) explanation I have for those not familiar with Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance.

Which is pretty much my favorite genre ever. So here is an actual description of what it is (as written by the crazy ramblings of a fan). Paranormal romance are books where the main focus is on a hero and heroine who overcome obstacles to become a couple (pretty much what a regular romance is) but it has some supernatural element, be it vampires, werewolves, shifters, ghosts, or other creatures born of folklore and embraced by modern fiction. Usually, this element manifests in the form of one of the main characters.

Urban Fantasy is much more slippery than that. In this genre, there may be romance or not, though this romance will never be the main focus of the book or series. There's not really one thing that qualifies as Urban Fantasy except for the fact that it contains a supernatural element. I also believe it has to be set in our world (or a version of our world). Other than that, pretty much any plotline is fair game.

There isn't exactly a solid line between these two genres and often they flow into one another. Often they're combined and called Paranormal Romace/Urban Fantasy. This is one of my favorite things to read. My favorite shelf at Powells is the Paranormal Romance shelf. This is the only bookstore I've found that actually has these in a separate section. And for books not strictly Paranormal Romance, I have to search the fantasy, science fiction, or even horror shelves. I actually think that this genre should have its own section in bookstores, but since they don't I shall continue to wander through multiple genres searching out the book I want.

I thought I would suck the rest of you into my world, but sharing some of my favorite series. Be warned, there is a sort of spectrum in the genre(s) so I'll add a darkness scale from 1 (Light) to 5 (Dark). Best to start at the low end and work your way up when easing into them for the first time. I'll also use UF (Urban Fantasy) or PR (Paranormal Romance) to give a sense of where they lay genre-wise.

Love At Stake Series by Kerrelyn Sparks (PR): Since the invention of synthetic blood, there have been two factions of vampire: The Vamps and The Malcontents. The Vamps are bottle-fed, working to keep the human race safe from the Malcontents who see humans as nothing but food. The series follows a different Vamp each book as they find love and the war between the Malcontents and the Vamps rages on. Very light books, and not just in terms of supernatural activity. Fluffy cotton candy-like books, a 1 on the scale. The first book is How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire

Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost (PR, with some UF): Half-vampire Cat Crawford kicks vampire ass. And she doesn't think twice about the distinction between sippers and killers until vampire hitman Bones comes into her life. But can love help her overcome her former prejudices? Series is part romance, part adventure novel, and even a little mystery. A little dark and at times pretty steamy (those who've read it know that Chapter 32 lives in infamy). Definitely not for kids. About a 3.5 or 4 out of 5. First book is Halfway to the Grave

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (UF): Harry Dresden is the only professional wizard in Chicago. Which means that when things get screwy for the Chicago PD, they call him in for help. Add in his spotty past, wise-cracking skull named Bob, and being a magnet for trouble and you got a hero who doesn't have all the answers but tries his damnedest to make things right. Wonderful books and the series gets better developed as the series goes on. 3.5 or so out of 5. First book is Storm Front.

The Hollows Series by Kim Harrison (UF with a smattering of PR): What if instead of participating in the Space Race, we turned our efforts to bioengineering? What if a virus hiding in the flaw of a genetically altered tomato wiped out half the human race and the supernatural community decided to announce their presence? Now the sides live in a sometimes uneasy truce, not entirely segregated, but with the supernaturals not entirely trusted. Rachel Morgan is a witch/bounty hunter, living in a church with a living vamp abstaining from blood, and a pixie who's got her back. Together the three run a runner business, investigations and bounty hunting. Good series with another heroine who doesn't always have an easy answer and has to live with the choices she makes. 3 out of 5. First book is Dead Witch Walking.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward (PR with some UF): There exists a circle of brothers, bound by a calling but closer than blood, who live to protect their race from The Lessening Society, soulless vampire killers who are made from the sociopaths and dregs of human society. Each book is about a different brother as he finds his mate. The vampires here are a little unorthodox as at 25 they go through The Change, where they become their full vampire self. They eat food as humans do, but need to also feed on the blood of a vampire of opposite gender to live. 5 out of 5. First book is Dark Lover.

The Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris (Half PR, half UF): Also known as the Sookie Stackhouse series, these are the books the HBO show True Blood is based on. The invention of synthetic blood has allowed vampires to come out of books into real life. Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress. At least that's what she'll say when you aske what she is. What she's not saying is that she's a telepath. When Bill Compton, a vampire, walks into her bar, she finally meets a man who's thoughts are silent, a pocket of peace for her. But that peace draws her into a dangerous world. A little romance and a lot of mystery, these books are fun but only vaguely like the TV series. 3 out of 5. First book is Dead Until Dark.

Kitty Norville Series by Carrie Vaughn (UF with a little PR): Kitty is a DJ for the Midnight Hour in Denver, CO. She also happens to be a werewolf (and yes, she gets the irony of her name). Changed against her will, she battles her inner wolf and tries to remain as human as she can. And using her show she helps others do the same the best she can. Even when her own life is sucking. But being her own wolf will take courage and strength she never knew she had. Series is very easy to written and well written. 2 out of 5. First book is Kitty and The Midnight Hour.

So there are seven series to get you started on Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance. And believe me, you'll find that if you start looking for these books, you finish one series and seven more will pop up in its place, like some literary Hydra. Anyone have suggestions I may have missed? There aren't many series I haven't heard of at least once in this genre, but maybe you'll surprise me. Have fun and happy reading.

4 comments:

  1. I have been dragged into Ashleigh's love of PR/UF kicking and screaming the whole way, but I have to say once I stopped dragging my feet and actually gave the Night Huntress a fair chance I was sucked in. Great story line and enough strange twists to keep you interested and ready for the next book as soon as you finished the last one. I have not been allowed to read the Black Dagger Brotherhood yet, but I'm looking forward to that series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that we have very similar tastes in books. :) I will have to borrow some of your wonderful collection once school starts back up! :) I've read some Kim Harrison and LOVE her. I also love that we both like Sherrilyn Kenyon. :)

    I'm going to check out a bunch of these books as soon as I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I've brought you over to the dark side Mom. See? It's not that bad. Plus every now and then, there's cookies! They're burnt and kinda stale, but they're there!
    And Cortney, I love having friends with similar tastes. It means I actually have someone to talk to about books! Which is why I've let Dad read my books and worked to suck Mom in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that with my friends too! I think that's what makes us good English majors--not only do we discuss books for school we do it for fun too!

    ReplyDelete