Saturday, August 21, 2010

Chapter 1.7: Candy is Evil and Why Iron Man Is My Favorite Superhero

I had not seen my friend Joe in a long time (I'd started college, he actually had a life, things just got in the way) so we decided to go and see a movie today, along with our friend Mark. There's a theater near us that shows movies for $3. Yes, the concessions price are un-freakin'-believable ($5.75 for a small soda? What the heck is that?) but at least the ticket price is low. And you can always sneak in your own candy (and even soda if your bag is big enough).

Which is exactly what I did today (I'd like to note, this only works in theaters where the staff does not care to check in on you. At an independent theater in Downtown Vancouver, this act got the candy taken away. My sister was so ticked). I had Reese's Pieces leftover from going to see The Karate Kid (actually a lot more Pieces than I thought) which I put in a Ziplock bag with some M&Ms. I then slipped this bag into my purse and waited for the lights to dim (as a side note, do not sit in a practically spotlighted area when smuggling in contraband. You're more likely to be noticed).

Now, this plan also means you have to have some self-control, something I apparently lack. Which is why about 2/3 of the way through the movie, I felt sick to my stomach and had to ask Jow to drive me home (which being awesome, he did without complaining or making me feel bad. Joe rocks). I either ate way too many candy bits, or Reese's Pieces and M&Ms don't play well together (it's an eons long battle you know, to be the top candy coated bit. Reese's think they're better because they're filled with peanut butter rather than your run-of-the-mill chocolate. M&Ms are sure they are the better candy because they have a vast variety of types, including a peanut butter one. Also, and I didn't know this until today, Reese's Pieces and M&Ms have different types of candy coating around them. The M&M one melts better, but the Reese's Pieces one stays smooth as you suck on it. Who's side are you on?)

To distract me from feeling sick, I started thinking about why I like Iron Man so much. Now, I haven't read the comics (please don't glare at me in wrath *cowers from zealous comic book fans*) but I really, really like the movie version. And I think a lot of it has to do with his cocky attitude. He's one of the few superheroes I've seen who is so sure of himself and what he can do. Maybe he's a little too sure of himself and yes, he has some flaws (no true hero can be without them) but he's so fun to watch. I expect sarcastic and witty banter every time I see him. And he's good at it.

So to sum up: Covert Candy Operations: a) choose a large chain theater or one where no one comes to check on you in the theater b) don't sit in a spotlit area of the theater c) exercise self-control
Why Iron Man is The Best Superhero: a)very charismatic b) completely sure of himself c) he's played by Robert Downey Jr. 'Nuff said.

So who's your favorite superhero? Or do you have any more tips on smuggling in snacks to theaters with outrageous concession prices?

2 comments:

  1. Do you really like Iron Man as opposed to Tony Stark, though? I mean, Tony Stark is completely, undeniable awesome, but I feel like the general failing of the Iron Man movies (WHICH I LOVE BY THE WAY, DON'T GET ME WRONG) is that the moment any of the awesome characters step into the suits they become really... generic and boring. Minus their ability to blow stuff up, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just need Tony Stark with Firepower. He could be a superhero all on his own. Although I didn't think he became too boring in the first one. Missed some of the second one and need to see it again, so I can't judge that one. But yeah, I guess Tony is the awesome one.

    ReplyDelete