Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chapter 1.9: Tiny Service Dog

So I know there are obviously some services that I don't know about that service dogs perform. I don't profess to be an expert in them. But what sort of service can a tiny dog (like the kind that fits in a tea cup) do?

We went to Costco today to pick up Meghan's new glasses and there was a woman there in a motorized wheelchair with the most adorable tiny dog I've seen since Clover. It was some kind of teacup terrier and it was so cute! Although it had a clip in its ear and wore a bandana which it probably would have preferred not to be wearing.

Meg and I cooed over her and the lady said "She says hi." Then Meg asked if she could pet her (kudos for asking instead of just doing Meg!). The woman said "She's actually a service dog, so no. But she says hi." After picking up Meg's glasses, we went around the corner and kind of started laughing. What kind of service dog could be that tiny? Meg said "I think she just didn't want me to pet her dog."

Now, I know there are some people out there who say they have a service dog when this is not actually true (Harry Dresden comes to mind) but simply because that's the easiest way for their dog to be allowed into establishments. However, I wondered if maybe this dog really was used for some sort of service. So I did what I do whenever I am in doubt: I went to the internet (*note: doesn't this remind you of the quote in Harry Potter: "Because that's what Hermione does, she goes to the library")

Turns out, there is actually a little service dog named Napoleon with his own Costco card. Apparently he helps alert his owner who has hearing loss to certain sounds when they're out. And to when people arrive when they're at home. There was also a pink poodle who alerted people when his master was having a seizure. True, neither of these dogs was quite as small as the tiny one we saw today, but maybe it still had a legitimate purpose?

What are your theories? What service could this dog perform? Or did the woman just want to keep her dog with her and not let anyone pet it?

4 comments:

  1. I have heard that Chihuahua's can be used for patients with seizure and similar issues. I think this would be akin to "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't an area I'm overly familiar in, but I know that there are some service dogs that are psychiatric service dogs or emotional support animals (for example, for anxiety disorders). I'm not sure if businesses are required to treat them the same as the more traditional service dogs we're used to seeing or what, and I'm not sure if they preform any other services, too, but maybe the dog you saw was something like that? I think a smaller dog might be easier to manage/take places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are both great great explanations. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually our cousin Kelly in Woodland was wondering who to contact about getting a dog that will detect when their master is going to have a seizure. Her daughter has seizures. Tana

    ReplyDelete