Monday, April 11, 2011

Deivos

Oh and that thing that seems to be a V is actually an N. Because today I'm talking about my favorite word in Greek: δεινος. This word does not actually mean book, which is usually the meaning of my favorite word in a language (favorite word in French will always be livre). Yes, that's right, this word beat out book. You know that means it has to be good.

Anyone who's ever tried their hand at translating things from another language will tell you that things don't always translate neatly. Sometimes, no word exists in the language your translating to that encapsulates the word you want. I mean, even in English we're missing things. Like, we have no word for people who are no longer virgins (although the Nerdfighter community has proposed Virg-out, which I rather like).



So, this word that is my favorite actually means a few things. But basically δεινος means the terrible, clever, dangerous, wonderful thing. Which is really awesome in my opinion. It's like you are terrible but that terribleness is caused by the cleverness exhibited and this makes you dangerous. And that terrible cleverness leaves others slightly in awe. There's a kind of wonder with that danger and wit.

One of the best examples of this word is The Sphinx. In class readings the Sphinx was described as being δεινος (well, δεινη since she's feminine). And it's not just that she's terrible (which she is. Hello, she eats people who can't answer her riddle) but that she's terrible in her cleverness. It is her clever mind that makes her formidable and horrifying and awe-inspiring. How cool is that?

I know this is short, but I wanted to share my new favorite word with you. And because it's hard to translate to English, I think we just need to steal the word and make it part of our lexicon. Because it is freakin' awesome. And I love it. And we steal words from other languages all the time. What's your favorite foreign word?

3 comments:

  1. I like compound words in Spanish that are made of a verb and a noun and take a completely different look at an item than our words. For example, "pencil sharpener" is "sacapuntas", which literally translates as "takes-points". And "umbrella" is "paraguas", which is a mushed-together version of "stops-water". :)
    Similarly, the word "parasol", which we borrowed from the French, literally means "stops-sun".
    A word I don't like in Spanish is "crepusculo", which means "twilight". It sounds creepy to me, while I think that twilight is kind of pleasant and nice. I do, on the other hand, like the word "madrugada", meaning "early morning". Some Spanish other words I like are "almohada", meaning "pillow" (from the Arabic); "relámpago", meaning "lightning"; "sonrisa", meaning "smile"; and especially "zumbar", meaning "to buzz".
    I also really like the French word "chemin", meaning "path", "lane", or "country road".
    Words are cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and that video is "deinos"! ^_

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those words sound awesome. I like the whole compound words thing; it's always interesting to see how other languages create words

    ReplyDelete