Thursday, April 7, 2011

Living on Borrowed Time

Day two and the outbreak is raging strong. Forty percent of our population was wiped out in the first day and I fear many more casualties are in store before this epidemic is quelled for good. More friends have fallen and I fear the virus has turned their minds toward evil intents. Lisa has marked me for death and now Libby too has fallen. I fear my time left with my humanity intact will be all too brief

Shut away from the world, hiding with provisions and amusements of simpler times*, I had planned to give tips to my fellow humans on how to survive the harsh days ahead. But some of the zombies retain their intelligence and literacy and I cannot be certain my helpful hints will not be turned to my downfall. So I can only offer the advice many veterans are familiar with.

1. Travel in a group, preferably a group with at least one skilled combat veteran. True, if there are eight humans in a group when zombies attack you may escape even if all in the group are novices who can't hit targets reliably, but not all of your group will live. At least one skilled to two unskilled is an ideal ratio
2. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT eat in the Commons. Yes, the lines themselves are safe to hide in. But once you enter, there is but one exit out. And who know who else knows this exit? Every single freakin' zombie on campus. And they will be waiting for you.
3. If you move around a lot, you are likely to attract the attention of the horde. This means if you have the ability to stay put do it. Yes, this may mean you end up spending hours sitting in Carver Gym (Yes I am speaking from experience but to all the zombies reading this, I will not be in this position again so you won't be able to wait and trap me). But it also means you may be alive at the end of the day.
4. If you can, avoid Red Square (or whatever your version of Red Square is). This is an open space with little cover and a lot of opportunity for the zombies to chase you down before you manage to reach anywhere safe. A fast runner may make it...but do you want to bet your humanity on it?
5. Practice nonchalance and stealth. If you are seen darting from building to building, guns blazing, zombies are going to spot you a little easier. It's just a product of you looking like you're fleeing for your life; it triggers some kill instinct in them. If you however walk calmly (quickly, but not frantically) between buildings, holding your gun at your side or even in a bag, you're harder to pick out as a human.

That's all I can safely give. I pray my few remaining friends travel safely and retain their humanity. I'll see you on the other side.

*Shut up, I know the computer is not old timey but I spent most of my day without it

7 comments:

  1. You could totally have a friend who is just a civilian like myself run like a maniac across Red Square while you stealthily sneak off to your class. In this way, they are distracted by the runner and have less of a chance to see you. It's been done before and quite successfully too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this plan. I like this plan a lot. I think I shall have to implement it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sayin. Hit me up if you're in need of a decoy during some crazy part of the day. Oh, and Will fell today. A moment of silence for our lost comrade. *Moment* And now I hope you destroy him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, if he tries to get me I will definitely attempt to destroy him. He's going to fight me if he wants my brain. I'll keep the decoy plan in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Robert Neville. I am a survivor living in The Western area of Bellingham. I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies. I will be at the South Street Seaport everyday at mid-day, when the sun is highest in the sky. If you are out there... if anyone is out there... I can provide food, I can provide shelter, I can provide security. If there's anybody out there... anybody... please. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. le sigh... yes I was destroyed on Friday (Friday, gotta get down on Friday). I have ways of sneaking around. Hahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you're sneaky. You and Lisa are both super sneaky which I why I am vague about my whereabouts and the times I shall be in such places

    ReplyDelete