Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Nearing the End

The infestation grows daily and few humans have managed to survive. Somehow I have remained among the living. Yes, no one is quite as shocked as I myself am. With poor aim and hand-eye coordination as well as little ability to run, I truly believed that I would perish long before this day.

Yesterday was my first contact with members of the horde. As I left my Early American Lit class, and roamed too far to reenter the building upon seeing the scourge. This zombie seemed surprised and stopped for a moment, looking at me confused before realizing I was among the living.

Upon confirming this he began to run, cutting off my escape and shouted a war cry to his mates. "Human!" he yelled. Steps pounded behind me and in front of me the zombie stood between me and my sanctuary. Sending up a hope and a prayer, I shot.

And luck was on my side for the shot was true and the zombie when down, incapacitated for the time being. I blew past him and made in it inside before his fellows caught up. One minor victory but a victory nonetheless. My foes temporarily thwarted.

More brushes with the enemy occurred but none with real threat of death. The horde grows ever larger; only 74 humans remain from our original number of over 300. More friends have fallen and only three of us remain alive. Who will be next? And when will we be delivered from this fate?

This will be my last transmission. Each day I continue to live is a miracle. Too many friends have fallen and if I survive tomorrow, I will relinquish my humanity and join them. I cannot continue in a life where those I love are trying to devour my brains. This is my choice. I shall not waver. May god deliver us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment