Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It Begins

At seven this morning, the outbreak struck Bellingham. The plague turns innocent college students into being ravenous for the brains of their peers, their family, their friends. They no longer are those we love but beings of pure hunger and malice. Reasoning will not stop them. Your only course of action is to stun them and run as fast a far as you can.

We at first believed the outbreak could be contained. Few were infected, if we could only quarantine them quickly enough...but no, they escaped our attempts at isolation and it was all over. The attack began in earnest and many quickly fell to the mob.

Somewhat pessimistic about the chances of a quarantine's success, I was prepared when I left my dorm for class this morning, armed with the weapons needed to keep me alive. I knew the safer course would be to hole up in my room and wait for an antidote to be found and the outbreak contained. But graduation is near and I can't rick missing class to live in fear.

I stick to lesser known routes, avoiding the death trap that is Red Square as much as possible. I hop between the buildings, using them as cover. The virus that has made the zombies crave human gray matter has left their limbs incapable of turning door handles. Inside I am safe. Outside...is another matter entirely.

I make it to class alive, paranoid but intact. Then after class begins the trial of returning to my room, making it back when many more humans have been turned and those who slept late have begun to stir. I meet humans along the trek back and we watch each others' backs for the brief moments we are going the same direction. One helps me back to my room and it is clear he is a hunter, not one to hide in the face of danger.

I am alive, but many of my friends have fallen. Lisa, was one of those infected with the original virus, doomed from the beginning. And as the day wears on, more of those I know fall to the horde. First Alex, then Marie. Hanna, Andre, Brian, even Cameron who has been warrior among the humans. One by one they fall and I am left wondering, who will be left when this all ends? And will I even survive that long?

*This post is brought to you by the Spring game of WWU's Humans vs. Zombies

6 comments:

  1. In 2009, a deadly virus burned through our civilization, pushing humankind to the edge of extinction. Dr. Robert Neville dedicated his life to the discovery of a cure and the restoration of humanity. On April 9th, 2011, at approximately 8:49 A.M., he discovered that cure. And at 8:52, he gave his life to defend it. We are his legacy. This is his legend. Light up the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the I Am Legend movie quotes here. They're just so appropriate. (And I was surprised I recognized the movie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you would get them, couldn't remember if you have seen this movie or not. But then I figured you would Google it if you couldn't place the quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I saw the movie with you guys. One of the few zombies movies I've seen. And it had a sucky ending

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know mom said that too, but the ending wasn't sucky!! He gave his life to protect her and the cure. And this movie pays homage to Bob Marley, how freakin cool is that? Light up the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, the end wasn't sucky. It was just sad. I do not like sad endings.

    ReplyDelete