Monday, September 20, 2010

Chapter 2.7: One of Us

So this year, my friends have partially taken over the third floor of Edens Hall. As a note, maybe I should explain how Edens Hall is set up. It is a suite-style room, which means you have two people (of the same gender) in a room and two rooms (of the same gender) connected by a bathroom. And the bathroom is niiiiiiiiice.

First of all, the bathroom is about the size of my bedroom, all told. There's a large counter across one wall with a sink at one end. About half the bathroom is the counter space and some area to walk though and get ready in. The other half is divided between section that has the potty (sort of its own little room, complete with a door!) and the shower (also fairly good sized.)

The rooms themselves are also pretty big. Especially if you decide to bunk your beds. Or loft your bed and put your desk under it. I actually saw one configuration where they had their beds bunked in the alcove next to the window and then had a couch and entertainment center in the middle, with the desks on the far side.

Anyway, back to the awesomeness that is the third floor of Edens. You have Michelle, Jess, Madison, and Libby all in a suite together. Then you have Ron and I in a room, with Johanna as our suitemate. Then on the other hall is Andre and Cameron's room. There are like nine or ten of us on this floor. And then both Will and Andre, and Amanda and Kelsey live on the fifth floor of Higginson.

Which of course means my senior year is going to be very very fun. Last night, I had dinner with Michelle, Libby, Madison, Jess, Cameron, Andre, Sarah and Marie (Sarah and Marie are apparently not cool enough to live on the floor of fantastic). Then after the floor meeting, I watched Princess and the Frog with Marie, Jess, and Cameron in his and Andre's room. I like having friends close.

Now, as I have mentioned, the first rule of geekdom is to convert more followers to your fandom of choice (kind of like a cult, but with more arguments over Kirk vs Picard or Spike vs Angel). Enter Western's Info Fair. A place where clubs and businesses can draw in the unsuspecting colleg student with shiny baubles and free food (neither of which I had, but it was still awesome). And a place where conversion can begin.

I mentioned way back about the flyer I'd created. Well I had color ones taped to the table with a shiny little paper that said our name in the same design. And even though it was sort of crummy out and our table was outside, a lot of people stopped by and signed up for our mailing list and took flyers.

Plus apparently the organizers figured the geeks would be more comfortable with their own kind. We had Browncoats, Magic The Gathering, Board Game Club, and Nerf Club all right next to each other. But at least it gave me someone to talk to for a bit. After I hand wrote the meeting day and time on 47 flyers. But, hey, geeks will always have some common ground to talk (or argue) about. Plus I learned from someone that Seasons 1 and 2 of Buffy are on Hulu. Yay!

Much more geekery ahead this year but it's great to be back. So, how have you converted people to your fandom of choice? Do you just tell them about it and hope they see it? Do you jump them, tie them up, and force them to watch or hear it until they see its greatness? Do you constantly buy DVDs of one show and give them as gifts?

2 comments:

  1. I myself am a convert-ee, not a convert-er. Although, I did finally get you hooked on the wonderful world of Jude Devereaux. Of course, who could resist the lure of the Mongomery brothers and wait until you meet the Taggart clan and then there is the Malory brothers..... ahhhhhhhhhh wish I had more time to read now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an LotR special extended edition marathon and call it my birthday party. :)

    ReplyDelete