Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chapter 2.11: Unhealthy Is Not Weight Related

So, I often go on the Western Forum, Viking Village, just to look through the threads and see if there's anything interesting for me to comment on. Today I found one that for some reason really upset me called "views on body weight". The part that really ticked me off, that offended me the most was this "I don't understand why so many people are overweight in the western world. There is little positive about obesity and the act of fixing the disease (eating healthy and exercising) feels wonderful. " Then the thread goes on, with people on both sides arguing, often in rather blunt, frustrating ways about how there's really no reason for people to be overweight other than the fact that they are lazy and that thin people are much healthier.

Now, I grew up in a home that has weight problems. I personally was a size 14 until my junior year of high school and then I became underweight to the point where people thought I was sickly and my doctor believed I had an eating disorder I was in denial about. And while I'm finally a good weight, I know I'm not healthy. I'm a size 4, but I have little endurance and survive mostly on toast, sandwiches, granola bars, and chocolate while here at school. At home it's a little better because my mother is a fantastic cook and makes things that work within my food restrictions. But I still have an overdeveloped sweet tooth.

The only reason I am thin, is because of my IBS. And I know that it's not just laziness that keeps people from being healthy. Not thin. Healthy. There are some freaks of nature who love running, swimming, playing sports, biking, etc. and their bodies are built for that. They naturally have good endurance or just like it.

I, on the other hand, have been working on trying to up my endurance for years and it's never really worked. I can walk and sometimes if I don't have real time constraints (and if the land is flat) can enjoy it, but often I'd rather not. Exercise will never "feel wonderful" for some people. For some it will always feel like a chore.

And people know that when you grow up in a family that doesn't make healthy choices that it means you have a harder time making those healthy choices. But people who haven't grown up in that environment will never understand the near irresistible pull of some foods. Plus, some freaks just like salad. Like they choose salad over a hamburger because they enjoy the salad more. Which makes me want to hug them. ;)

There were two posts I loved that made me laugh. One said: "An ugly person is just choosing not to get plastic surgery. It's not anybody elses fault they don't kick their ass in gear to get the money necessary for a facial modification procedure.On second thought, it's not like stupid people can't just learn more. You know, put in a little bit more effort, get their education going. You can learn from books as well, it's not like you *need* to go to college. If only those uneducated would do more for themselves, we wouldn't have to look down on them so much."

The one right after it said: "Absolutely! In fact, let's make it a law that all people who can't adhere to a certain amount of beauty, intelligence, weight, etc should be put in camps far away from eyesight until they stop being so lazy. And if they can't after a certain period of time..... well society is better off without them right?"

I think that instead of focusing on fat vs thin, we should focus on how anyone can be healthy. Like making gym memberships more widely available instead of having to pay $60 a month for the privilege of using their equipment. Also, a wide variety of classes at these gyms, or making personal trainers viable options for everyone would help those who dislike exercise find something they can do that doesn't make them feel like they're going to throw up.

We can also make it so healthy foods are actually reasonably priced. Half the reason people buy processed foods or junk food is that the price is easier for them to manage than fresh, healthy options. When Ramen costs $.99 but it takes $5 to make a healthy dinner, Ramen will win for those who need that extra $4 to put towards bills.

And we can implement programs in schools that make being healthy fun, like keeping a food log and every time you eat twenty healthy items you get to choose a prize. And doing what Jamie Oliver did in schools, where the food is real and not processed. I'm not sure what else can be done, but there are millions of us in America. I'm sure someone has ideas.

Bottom line? This is not a weight issue. I get that these people believe that obesity is the epidemic, but you don't have to be overweight to be unhealthy. Nor do you have to be thin to be healthy. We need to be a little open-minded. And I definitely don't believe my opinion is the only valid one, but you can't argue a point until you've lived or been part of what you're arguing against. Like Twilight. But that's a different post.

So what do you think? Am I out of line here? Do I only make sense to the jabbering monkeys in my own mind?

4 comments:

  1. OK, I have to admit that I stopped paying attention after I read "At home it's a little better because my mother is a fantastic cook" (made me smile the smile of pure joy a mom has when she knows her kids enjoy eating what she cooks)

    That being said, I can only speak for myself and my experiences. I am over weight, in fact my doctor would probably label me obese. Do I want to be this way? NO, Have I tried to change? YES Why do I fail? Am I just lazy? Do I not realize how being overweight can cause health issues and shorten my life? Of course I know those things and No, I don't think I'm lazy. I really believe that for me it is like an addiction to sugar and fat. I try to eat healthier, but it only last for a few weeks before I succumb to the lure of chocolate or pizza or a big juicy cheeseburger. I always regret my failure after it happens, but during the fall from my brilliant plan to become healthy all I hear in my head is "just this one won't make a difference" but it does... and then I'm depressed and that makes me want to eat junk (they don't call it comfort food for nothing) and eating that food makes me feel like a failure which depresses me more which makes me want to eat more junk... etc - etc - etc until I finally hit bottom and try it all again.

    I really feel that it would sure be easier if I could just give up ALL food. People who are alcoholics aren't supposed to drink any alcohol and people who are trying to quit smoking don't have to try and only smoke 1/8 of a cigarette 3 times a day - they are supposed to avoid ALL cigarettes. But as someone addicted to food, I'm still supposed to eat... just not the stuff that calls to me. I'm supposed to eat the stuff that tastes like grass and weeds or has no flavor at all according to my taste-buds.

    I will not give up though - I know that somehow, someway I will eventually succeed in losing the extra weight and find a way to incorporate daily exercise into my life... I have to believe this or I would never get back up off the floor littered with candy bar wrappers and empty ice cream tubs and try once again to do what others seem to have no difficulty with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the open/free gym is a great idea. :)

    As I sit here in the Underground eating sour skittles and drinking my grande mocha w/ whip... I'll admit I'm faaaaaar from being the healthiest person on the planet. I eat pretty well when I'm at home for summer/winter break since my Dad is an amazing cook, but once I'm back at school, I'm pretty sure my nutrition levels drop off the charts. I don't avoid healthy food (I had a roasted red pepper pita wrap for lunch, today), but neither do I avoid the sweets (as evidence by my snacking currently). And the number of nights per week where my dinner consists of ramen or soup supplemented with ritz crackers is much higher than I'd like to admit. :) But anyway, my point (I think) is that no matter how healthy or unhealthy I eat, my weight has never really fluctuated at all. I truly do think it's a matter of metabolism, much of the time, which, as far as I know, isn't something people can really control. I have friends who eat ridiculously large amounts of unhealthy foods all day long and are skinny as a rail and friends who are on the larger side who have been vegetarians for nearly 10 years.

    So, bottom line, I completely agree, with one modification. Unhealthy is not (necessarily) weight related. It can be, but certainly isn't true in all cases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, I think you make a good point about addiction and giving it up. It really does suck that you can't give up food entirely when trying to quit a sweets addiction. Because many foods that aren't necessarily sweets have a measure of sweetness to them. Which sets you back to craving ice-cream and chocolate. They need a sugar patch.

    And Anna, I agree that a lot of it also has to do with metabolism. Which is why we want to kill those tiny girls who put away triple burgers like it's no big deal and then look at others with disdain. I also agree with your addendum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preach sista preach!

    I'd do a more wordy-intelligent comment but I already agree with everything.

    ReplyDelete