Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chapter 2.9: What? School Can Be Fun?

Yep, that's right, you heard me. School doesn't have to be dull just because you're not taking Advanced Coloring 101. I personally think that we should still have holiday parties in class. Especially because now you can bake your own dang cookies instead of expecting Mom to do it. And you can pick up plates on your way to school if you forget instead of asking Dad to drop what he's doing and take you at eleven at night and then complain because they're too plain.

But, anyway, back to making school fun. I have discovered, just today, that this can actually happen, even in a college setting. It doesn't have to be dull paper after dull paper, comparing one character's angsty furrowed brows to another's twitchy finger tapping. You can have fun and still learn!

Maybe it's because the classes that are so fun are ones geared towards people who plan to teach kids and young teens (or even older teens, I'm not sure). Children's Literature and Young Adult Literature are two of the classes I am taking this quarter (and yes, they're actually required for my major. Aren't you jealous?). They look like they're going to be a blast!

First, the teachers, seem like they could have been elementary school or middle school teachers. But they talk to us like college students, they just have the younger educator demeanor. In both classes, we spent probably fifteen minutes making name tags for our desks. Like, "Here's a marker, make a pretty name plate" kind of name tag. And they got giddy over books. Like they were going through the reading list and some of the books I look forward to reading they were like "And this is such a good book!" They understand what a drag it is to read dry books no one likes.

Plus all the projects they have us do seem so fun! I have to read picture books. Yes, that's right I have to read 12 pictures books; it's required reading. As is Harry Potter. Oh yeah, this rocks. Then for Young Adult Lit, I have to read Holes, a book I own and love, and compare it to the movie. Hello? I do this for fun on my own. I also have to write a fanfiction. Yes, it has to be based on one of the books we read, which I'm not really stoked about, but maybe it'll be really, really good. And come on, I'm still writing fanfiction. Plus my final is a YA character Trading Card.

So why has the fun left school? Clearly school can be awesome if you try hard enough. What class would you want to make more fun? How would you do it?

4 comments:

  1. I love my YA Character Trading Card-- I did Rue from "Hunger Games". I used real leaves (went out and picked them). It was AWESOME. (I wanted to use real flowers but I figured they would have died to easily... :( Sad I know).

    Best class ever. Who are you taking it with? I had Nancy Johnson. SHE WAS SO COOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Donna Qualley. Nancy isn't doing it this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who wanted to major in coloring with an emphasis in crayons. It didn't sound like a bad idea to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being of the pleasantly plump majority I can say that I have gone up and down with my weight for years. I never will give up though because I remember that just because I eat wrong I make efforts to eat right and part of my build is from Dad's side of the family. Let's face it, I DO NOT LIKE EXCERSIZE! I do excersize when I can make myself and I am the one who has to live with me, and my daughter so what does anyone else get to say about it. Aunt Tana

    ReplyDelete